Data Engineer (Multiple Levels)
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Is This You?
The ideal candidate is an engineer who loves solving complex problems. You batch process billions of rows of data to provide information to Analysts, Researchers and data-intense web-based applications. You are eager to analyze electricity supply and demand data and to demonstrate how this data relates to weather, climate and a reduction in the carbon intensity of our electrical infrastructure. Although you may not be an expert in every technology listed, you have had broad exposure to at least a handful of the list and have solid experience with SQL and a scripting language.
There are endless interesting opportunities for a data engineer at REsurety. A preview of the projects we work on are:
- Development and maintenance of a multi-hundred terabyte data lake
- Development and maintenance of proprietary algorithms for wind generation, solar generation, and marginal emission abatement. This includes support and execution to generate time-series data for tens of thousands of projects
- Performant data access to drive on the fly analysis of renewable generation value for front-end web applications
Required Skill Sets
- SQL - DQL, DML, DDL (preference for experience with Postgresql and Snowflake)
- Experience with scripting languages such as R or Python
Desired Skill Sets
- SQL - DCL (preference for experience with Postgresql and Snowflake)
- Cloud architecture (preferably AWS: lambda, batch, RDS, S3, ECR)
- Experience building and running containers (preferably Docker)
- Python: APIs (flask, FastApi), Pandas, Beautiful Soup, Boto3, JupyterLab, Requests, Airflow
- R: Datatables, Renv
- Message Queues (Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS)
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform)
- Familiarity/interest in wholesale electricity markets
- Familiarity/interest in weather data (GRIB2, NetCDF files)
We are hiring for a variety of levels of experience using the following guidance:
3 or more years of experience working with SQL and a scripting language. Knowledge of data normalization and architecture. Comfortable with basic DQL, DML, and DDL. Strong desire to take your skill sets to the next level. Willingness to mentor junior engineers.
7 or more years of experience working with SQL and scripting languages. Ability to dive into hard problems and immediately start solving them. Proven experience managing batch data processes on server and serverless applications. Ability to build performant data queries, ETL jobs, and application infrastructure. Ability to communicate architectural designs through diagrams. Strong desire to mentor other engineers.
REsurety is the leading analytics company empowering the clean energy economy. Operating at the intersection of weather, power markets, and financial modeling, we enable the industry’s decision-makers to thrive through best-in-class value and risk intelligence, and the tools to act on it. Our data and software products offer unprecedented insight into the financial performance and environmental impact of clean energy projects. Our risk-transfer products enable renewable energy buyers, sellers, and financiers to manage the risk inherent to generating power from an intermittent fuel source: the weather. Our clients include clean energy investors, advisors, developers, and buyers.
With 7,000 MW contracted and many of the clean energy industry’s leaders as clients, we are a small team with a big impact! Our culture is open and collaborative. We expect excellence from our team members and reward it with high ownership and flexibility. If you’re a high-achiever with a passion for clean energy, we want to hear from you.
Company Values & Principles
At REsurety, we value the skills of execution, creativity & ownership, commercial focus, and teamwork, and we help and encourage all team members to develop these skills while at REsurety.
Our values also shape our culture and act as the foundation for our principles. Like all great companies, we strive to hire the best and are committed to building a diverse, inclusive company where team members feel engaged, valued, and supported. What is special about REsurety, though, is how much we:
- Share information openly, broadly, and deliberately with each other;
- Encourage ownership by all team members;
- Provide continuous, constructive feedback; and
- Empower all team members to bring their full, authentic self to work.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off Policy & Flexible Working Hours
- In-office: Mon, Tue, & Thurs
- Remote Optional: Wed & Fri
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Benefits
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401(k) & Match
- Stock Options
- 12 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Blue Bikes Gold Membership
- Pre-Tax Transportation Deduction
- Professional Development Stipend
REsurety, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.